We thought that we should use this occasion not only to celebrate an important milestone, but also take the time to assemble some statistics about Ancient History Encyclopedia:
- 1 million page views per month.
- 500,000 unique visitors per month (compared to 100,000 this time last year).
- Over 2.2 million visitors in 2013 so far.
- 66% visitors from the US; 4% in the UK, Canada, and Australia (each).
- We have spent £830 ($1330) on books to help write our 547 definitions and 350 articles.
- Record number of social media followers: 90,000+ on Facebook; 4,000+ on Twitter; 2,000+ on Google+.
- Google has ranked us up in their last "Hummingbird" search engine update.
AHE strives to provide the best ancient history information on the internet for free. We combine different media, subjects, and periods in interactive ways that will help the public appreciate the complexity and richness of the ancient world. Editorial review remains a key component in our process to ensure highest quality. We are an open education resource listed in the OER Commons and we also share our data through the academic Pelagios Network, side by side with institutions such as The British Museum and King's College London. Committed to the digital humanities movement, AHE's original content is available under a Creative Commons license that enables teachers to freely distribute it in class, as it allows anyone to re-use our content in a non-commercial context.
Please consider donating to help us reach even more students, teachers, and enthusiasts around the world! You can also share your knowledge by submitting an article, or you can simply recommend us to your friends and colleagues. Thank you very much!